Skip to content
- Notice and encourage children’s drawing, painting and early writing and the meanings that they give to them, such as when a child covers a whole piece of paper and says, “I’m writing”.
- Celebrate and value children’s early attempts at graphic representation – focusing on the meaning and content rather than letter formation.
- Model and include children in using signs and writing to expand playful experiences such as making signs for a shop or car wash, instructions for a ball game, a list of names for a taking turns.
- Support children in recognising and writing their own names.
- Make paper and digital books with children of activities they have been doing, using photographs of them as illustrations.