Skip to content
- Let children handle books and draw their attention to pictures.
- Tell and read stories, looking at and interacting with young babies, and using voice, intonation and gesture to prompt babies’ interactions.
- Draw on children’s home cultures to create meaningful reading experiences.
- Make family stories using small photo albums or story apps with photos of family members, significant people in the child’s life and familiar everyday objects.
- Expand these to include the stories, songs, rhymes and lives of those in local communities and wider histories and cultures.
- Provide opportunities for children to explore sound with drums, other instruments, kitchen pans and wooden spoons or upcycled resources.